Carleton-Forehoe (St. Mary)
CARLETON-FOREHOE (St. Mary), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Forehoe, E. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (N. N. W.) from Wymondham; containing 151 inhabitants. The distinguishing appellation Forehoe is derived from four hills, supposed to have been artificially constructed, and on one of which the court for the hundred was formerly held. The parish comprises about 700 acres, of which 385 are arable, 180 pasture and meadow, and 35 woodland: the road from Norwich to Watton passes through it. The ancient manor-house, which was surrounded with a moat, has long been a ruin. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 17. 1.; net income, £120; patron, Lord Wodehouse. The tithes were commuted for land in 1766; the glebe now contains 131 acres, of which 37 were obtained, by purchase, with £200 given in 1724 by the Rev. James Champion, and £200 from Queen Anne's Bounty. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower.