Carleton (St. Mary)

CARLETON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Skipton, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 2 miles (S. W.) from Skipton; containing 1242 inhabitants. The parish comprises 5090a. 3r. 24p., of which 173 acres are arable, about 85 wood, 3517 pasture, and 1250 common or moor; the soil of the lands under cultivation near the river is fertile, but on the high hills poorer. The population is chiefly employed in the worsted and cotton manufactures. The village is pleasantly situated in a picturesque vale, near the confluence of a stream with the river Aire. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 2. 1.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £300, and there is a glebe of 65 acres, with an excellent glebe-house; the appropriate tithe rent-charge is £30. The church, rebuilt in the 16th century, is in the later English style, with a square embattled tower, and contains 250 sittings, of which 70 are free; it was repaired, and a new gallery added, in 1841, by the Rev. Walter Levett, vicar, and the principal landowners; and Mrs. Busfield presented a complete set of communion service. A church dedicated to Christ was erected in Lothersdale, in 1838. An hospital was founded for 12 widows of this parish and that of Market-Bosworth, by Ferrand Spence, Esq., who endowed it with property, now producing an income of £280. The free school here was established by Francis Price and Elizabeth Wilkinson, in 1709, and endowed with 99 acres of land, at present worth £120 per annum, of which £55 are paid to a master for teaching boys.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, published in 1848.

Navigation

Preface
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z