CARLETON, a chapelry, in the parish of Snaith, union of Selby, Lower division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, W. riding of York, 1½ mile (N. by E.) from Snaith; containing 802 inhabitants. It comprises 3788a. 2r. 39p. of land, of a variety of soil, and produces all kinds of grain of excellent quality. An act was passed in 1800 for inclosing 380 acres of waste in the township. There is a wooden bridge across the Aire, on the road to Snaith, built by Thomas Stapleton, Esq., who also, in 1774, greatly improved Carleton Hall, the family seat, in which is a Roman Catholic chapel, and which is now occupied by Lady Throckmorton, lady of the manor, and sister to the late Miles Stapleton, Esq. The village, which is large and well built, is agreeably situated on the north side of the river Aire, and on the road from Snaith to Selby. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £168; patrons, the Trustees of Messrs. J. Day and Cave.