CARLETON, a township, in the parish of Poulton, union of the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of the county of Lancaster, ¾ of a mile (W. N. W.) from Poulton; containing 378 inhabitants. This place formerly belonged to a family of the same name, of whom mention is made in the reign of Henry III., when Michael de Carleton was fined for marrying Margaret de Winwick without the king's licence. The Sherburns were proprietors here in Henry VIII.'s time, and became possessed at some period of the manor. The township comprises 1979 acres of land. Carleton marsh, reclaimed about 1800, is situated on the coast, and, though it formerly belonged to Great and Little Carleton, is now included with Thornton. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £328, and the vicarial for £35. In 1697, Elizabeth Wilson endowed a school with £14. 9. 4., which sum has been increased by subsequent benefactions, the annual income amounting to about £23.