Careby (St. Stephen)
CAREBY (St. Stephen), a parish, in the union of Bourne, wapentake of Beltisloe, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 6 miles (N. E.) from Stamford; containing 73 inhabitants. It was for many generations the property and residence of the family of Hatcher, of whom Sir John Hatcher, the last who bore that title, died in 1640. The parish comprises by measurement 1418 statute acres: there is a quarry of excellent building-stone. The village is small, but delightfully situated, and of pleasingly rural appearance; and there are still some remains of the ancient mansion of the Hatchers, which was a spacious building with extensive pleasuregrounds, fish-ponds, and a park well stocked with deer. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 17. 1., and in the gift of General Birch Reynardson: the tithes have been commuted for £275, and the glebe comprises 46 acres. The altar of the church is embellished with a large painting of the Salvator Mundi, by the Rev. J. R. Deverell, late rector, who also presented a fine toned organ; in the chancel is a monument to Sir John Hatcher, whose statue is beautifully executed in stone. An excellent parsonage-house has been built.