Carbrooke (St. Peter and St. Paul)
CARBROOKE (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union and hundred of Weyland, W. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (E. N. E.) from Watton; containing 807 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3012a. 2r. 32p., of which 2162 acres are arable, 765 meadow and pasture, and 30 woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 12. 6.; patron, R. Dewing, Esq.: the great tithes have been commuted for £517. 4., and the vicarial for £22. 4. Tithes upon 218 acres of land in Great Ellingham belong to this parish. The church, rebuilt in the early part of the reign of Henry VI., has a lofty square tower, a nave, two aisles, and a chancel, which is separated from the nave by an early English screen; the roof of the church is splendidly carved and painted, and ornamented with roses. There were formerly 16 stalls in the chancel. The Knights Templars had a preceptory here, founded by Roger, Earl of Clare, who died in 1173, and subsequently given by Maud, his widowed countess, who amply endowed it, to the Knights Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem, as a commandery: at the Dissolution it was valued at £65. 2. 9., and the revenues, with the house and church, were granted to Sir Richard Gresham and Sir Richard Southwell. There are places of worship for Independents, and Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. An allotment to the poor, of 55 acres of land, was made under an inclosure act, in 1801.