CAPERNWRAY, a manor, in the chapelry of Over Kellet, parish of Bolton-le-Sands, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 9½ miles (N. N. E.) from Lancaster. This place (anciently Coupmanwrara, as appears from deeds in the time of King John,) gave name to a family, of whom Thomas de Coupmanwrara is mentioned in 1273. It is situated on the river Keer, is four miles north-east from the Carnforth station of the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, and the Lancaster and Kendal canal passes through the property: the land is hilly and woody, with limestone and freestone rocks. The manor is within the manor of Over Kellet, of which George Marton, Esq., whose family has been long connected with Capernwray, is the lord; he is the principal proprietor of the soil, and owner of the Hall. In the park is a chapel, dedicated to St. George, and supported by Mr. Marton; it is a neat structure in the early English style, from a design by Sharpe, of Lancaster.