Capel (St. John the Baptist)
CAPEL (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Dorking, Second division of the hundred of Wotton, W. division of Surrey, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Dorking; containing 989 inhabitants. It comprises 5522 acres, of which 105 are common or waste; 813 acres are exempt from tithes. The lands are principally arable, producing good crops of wheat and oats, and the soil is also well adapted to the growth of timber. Broom Hall here, is an elegant edifice, on the south-eastern confines of Leith Hill. The living is a donative, in the patronage of Charles Webb, Esq., with a net income of £84: the tithes have been commuted for £610. The church was enlarged in 1836, at the expense of J. S. Broadwood, Esq.