Canwick (All Saints)
CANWICK (All Saints), a parish, in the wapentake of Langoe, parts of Kesteven, union and county of Lincoln, 1¾ mile (S. E. by S.) from Lincoln; containing 190 inhabitants. It comprises 2039a. 27p., the chief part of which is arable; having on its western side a large common. The corporation of Lincoln are lords of the manor, but the greater part of the parish belongs to Col. Sibthorp, whose seat, Canwick Hall, is a large stone mansion with pleasant grounds, built by the late Col. Coningsby Waldo Sibthorp, who died in 1822. The house stands partly on the site of the old Hall, which had long been the seat of the Sibthorps, many of whom have represented Lincoln in parliament since the reign of George II. The village is neat, and situated on a bold eminence. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.; net income, £231; patrons and impropriators, the Mercers' Company, London. The church was nearly all rebuilt many years ago, and appears from some remaining pillars and arches to have been a Norman structure; it has several neat monuments to the Sibthorp family: there are nearly 20 acres of church land. Some springs here are strongly impregnated with iron.