CANVEY ISLAND, a chapelry, partly in the parishes of North and South Benfleet, Bowers-Gifford, Laindon, Pitsea, and Vange, union of Billericay, hundred of Barstable, and partly in the parishes of Leigh, Prettlewell, and Southchurch, union and hundred of Rochford, S. division of Essex; containing 277 inhabitants: the chapel is 6¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Leigh. This island is situated near the mouth of the Thames, and contains 3600 acres: it is encompassed by branches of that river, which, on the south side, is two miles broad; while on the other side there is a passage over the strand at low water, and at high water a ferry-boat is used. A fair is held on the 25th of June. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £58. 10.; patron, the Bishop of London. The tithes have been commuted for £190. The chapel is dedicated to St. Catherine. Service was formerly performed by the vicar, or curate, of South Benfleet; but, in 1837, a perpetual curate was inducted by the bishop.