Candover, Brown (St. Peter)
CANDOVER, BROWN (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Alresford, hundred of Mainsborough, Winchester and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4 miles (N. by W.) from Alresford; containing 313 inhabitants. It comprises 2040 acres, of which about 1500 are arable, and 370 wood. The living is a rectory, with that of Woodmancott annexed, valued in the king's books at £23. 4. 2., and in the gift of Lord Ashburton: the tithes have been commuted for £368, and the glebe comprises 59 acres of land, and a house. The old church being in a decayed state, and not having sufficient accommodation, a new one has been built by Lord Ashburton; it stands on a rising ground, is in the early style, and was consecrated in February, 1845. A vase, some coins, and three human skeletons, were dug up in 1830.