Candlesby (St. Benedict)
CANDLESBY (St. Benedict), a parish, in the union of Spilsby, Wold division of the wapentake of Candleshoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3¼ miles (E. by N.) from Spilsby; containing 247 inhabitants, and comprising by measurement 1010 acres. There are considerable pits of chalk-stone, which is turned into lime. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 19. 4.; net income, £200; patrons, the President and Fellows of Magdalen College, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for land in 1777. The church was erected in 1838.