Campsall (St. Mary Magdalene)
CAMPSALL (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Doncaster, Upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York; containing 2149 inhabitants, of whom 385 are in the township of Campsall, 8 miles (N. N. W.) from Doncaster. The parish consists of the townships of Askerne, Campsall, Fenwick, Moss, Norton, and part of Sutton; and comprises by computation 9700 acres, of which 1470 are in the township of Campsall, including the hamlet of Barnsdale. The village is pleasantly situated on a gentle acclivity, about seven miles distant from the river Don on the south, and on the north the same distance from the Aire. Stone of good quality is quarried. Camps Mount, the seat of George Cooke Yarborough, Esq., is an elegant mansion, standing at the head of a fine lawn, and embowered in luxuriant foliage; and Campsall Park is also a handsome residence. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £16. 16. 8.; net income, £128; patron and impropriator, Mr. Yarborough. The tithes were commuted for land in 1814. The church is a large ancient edifice, and has some fine specimens of Norman architecture. The remains of a Roman road may be traced.