Camel, West (All Saints)
CAMEL, WEST (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Yeovil, hundred of Somerton, W. division of Somerset, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Ilchester; containing 344 inhabitants. This parish, which is within a quarter of a mile of the road from London to Exeter, comprises by admeasurement 2034 acres. Stone of good quality for building is extensively quarried. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 8. 9., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bath and Wells: the tithes have been commuted for £250, and the glebe comprises about 65 acres, with a good house, mostly rebuilt in 1836. The church is a very ancient edifice, and has a pulpit of stone, and a handsome sculptured font. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Near the close of the last century, in a hill about half a mile to the north of the church, were discovered two catacombs, in which were several human bodies, arranged in rows.