CALWICH, a township, in the parish of Ellastone, S. division of the hundred of Totmonslow, N. division of the county of Stafford, 3½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Ashbourn; containing 131 inhabitants. A hermitage was established here, which was given to the priory of Kenilworth before the year 1148, by Nicholas de Greselei Fitz-Nigell, and a small number of Black canons placed therein. The house was assigned by Henry VIII. to the monastery of Merton, in Surrey, in exchange for the manor of East Moulsey, and as parcel of the monastery was again granted by that monarch to John Fleetwood. The township is on the western side of Dovedale, and comprises 655 acres, including the hamlet of Northwood. Calwich Abbey is the seat of the Hon. and Rev. Augustus Duncombe, by whom it was purchased of Court Granville, Esq., in 1842. Attached to the mansion are a beautiful lawn and pleasure-grounds, and a fine sheet of water supplies excellent fishing. Handel, the composer, was a frequent guest here.