Calverton (All Saints)
CALVERTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Potter's-Pury, hundred of Newport, county of Buckingham, 1 mile (S.) from Stony-Stratford; containing 493 inhabitants. This parish once included the western portion of Stony-Stratford, which was separated from it by act of parliament: the manor belonged to Simon Bennet, Esq., who, during the commonwealth, built the manor-house on the site of a more ancient structure. The parish comprises about 2000 acres, whereof two-thirds are arable and the rest pasture; both the surface and the soil are considerably varied: the river Ouse skirts it on the north. The substrata are chiefly limestone and sandstone; the former, which abounds with numerous fossil shells, is quarried for burning into lime and for building purposes. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £26. 2. 11.; net income, £346; patron, the Earl of Egmont: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1782. The church is a neat plain edifice, erected in 1818, by Lord Arden and the Rev. George Butler, D.D., then rector; it has been embellished with stained glass by the Rev. C. G. Perceval, the present incumbent, and the interior has a neat and pleasing appearance. The rectory-house, built by Lord Arden in 1820, occupies the site of a small Roman camp, and numerous fragments of Roman pottery, with arrow-heads, and a spear, have been discovered. Six small almshouses were built in 1830. A chalybeate spring, called the Bloody Hawk, was formerly much resorted to by persons who, on those occasions, formed groups for dancing to the violin.