Calverley (St. Wilfrid)
CALVERLEY (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in the union of Bradford, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 5 miles (N. E.) from Bradford; containing, with the township of Bolton and the chapelries of Idle and Pudsey, 21,039 inhabitants, of whom 4142 are in the township of Calverley cum Farsley. This extensive parish, which is within the honour of Pontefract, belonged at the time of the Conquest to the Lacys, by whom the manor was given to Gospatrick, Earl of Northumberland, one of whose daughters and co-heiresses conveyed it by marriage, in the reign of Stephen, to the family of Scot, whose descendants assumed the name of Calverley. In 1754, Sir Walter Calverley, who took the surname of Blackett, sold it, with the whole of the estates, to the great-uncle of Thomas Thornhill, Esq., the present lord. The parish comprises 8644a. 3r. 14p.; the soil is fertile, the surface is pleasingly varied, and the higher grounds command extensive and interesting views of the country adjacent. The village is beautifully situated, partly on the brow of an acclivity on the south side of Airedale, and partly on the bank of the river, and near the Leeds and Liverpool canal. The population is principally employed in the woollen-manufacture, for which there are extensive establishments; and within the parish are also some stone-quarries and coal-mines. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 11.10.; net income,£150, with a good glebe-house; patron, the Crown. The church is a venerable structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower crowned by pinnacles, and contains several handsome monuments. Other churches have been erected at Farsley, Idle, and Pudsey; and there are some places of worship for dissenters.