Calverleigh (St. Mary)
CALVERLEIGH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Tiverton, Cullompton and N. divisions of Devon, 2 miles (N. W.) from Tiverton; containing 81 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 500 acres, about 50 of which are woodland, and the rest arable and pasture in nearly equal portions. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12, and in the patronage of G. W. Owen, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £85. 13., and the glebe comprises 72 acres. In the church is a curious monument to a former proprietor named Southcot, dated 1638. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.