CALVELEY, a township, in the parish of Bunbury, union of Nantwich, First division of the hundred of Eddisbury, S. division of the county of Chester, 6 miles (N. W. by N.) from Nantwich; containing 190 inhabitants. The township lies on the road from Nantwich to Tarporley, and comprises 1416 acres, of a clayey soil. The Chester canal and the Chester and Crewe railway pass in the vicinity of the village; and the railway has a station here, 8 miles distant from the great station at Crewe. This was the birthplace and residence of the famous Sir Hugh Calveley, whose niece in 1360 married Arthur, sixth son of Sir John Davenport, of Merton, whose descendants have resided here up to the present time. A school is supported by Mrs. Davenport.