Callow (St. Michael)
CALLOW (St. Michael), a parish, in the hundred of Webtree, union and county of Hereford, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Hereford; containing 171 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Hereford to Ross, and comprises by measurement 582 acres; the surface is moderately undulated and well wooded, and the soil is nearly of average fertility. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and annexed to the vicarage of Dewsall; 22 acres of land are tithefree, having belonged to the fraternity of St. John of Jerusalem. The tithes have been commuted for £86. 2. 10.; in addition to which, £12 a year are received from fourteen acres of land, purchased a few years ago, with an allowance from Queen Anne's Bounty. The church is pleasantly situated on the summit of a hill overlooking, at a short distance, the high road; it was rebuilt about the year 1831. The rent of four acres of land bought with £100 bequeathed by Henry Pearle, Esq., a native, is given to the poor on St. Thomas's day, when a distribution is also made of the interest of £80 in the savings' bank at Hereford, the produce of timber cut down on the land a few years since. There are the remains of two Roman camps.