Caldecote (St. David and St. Chad)
CALDECOTE (St. David and St. Chad), a parish, in the union of Nuneaton, Atherstone division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick, 1½ mile (N. N. W.) from Nuneaton; containing 93 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 668 acres of excellent land, in equal portions of arable and pasture: the surface is level, and is intersected by the river Anker and the Coventry canal. On the north-east the parish is bounded by the Watlingstreet, which separates it from Leicestershire; and on the south-west by the road between Nuneaton and Atherstone. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 15., and in the gift of Kirkby Fenton, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £170. The church is an ancient edifice with a tower, and contains monuments to the Purefoy family. In 1647, George Abbot bequeathed land, directing the annual produce, about £4. 10., to be expended in teaching children.