Cainham (St. Mary)
CAINHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Ludlow, hundred of Stottesden, S. division of Salop, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Ludlow; containing 973 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Leominster to Bridgnorth, and comprises by computation 2700 acres, in equal portions of arable and pasture, with numerous orchards: the river Letwytch, celebrated for fine trout, crosses its southern extremity. Stone is quarried for drains and buildings; and coal-mines, limeworks, and iron-foundries, are in operation. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 13. 4.; net income, £338; patron and incumbent, the Rev. J. Mainwaring; impropriators, the landowners. There is a glebe-house, with 120 acres of land. The church is ancient; in the churchyard is a cross. A church was consecrated in 1840, to which an ecclesiastical district called St. Paul's, Knowbury, has been assigned. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also a Sunday school. The remains of a Roman encampment are visible.See Knowbury.