Caenby (St. Nicholas)
CAENBY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the E. division of the wapentake of Aslacoe, parts of Lindsey, union and county of Lincoln, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Spital; containing 185 inhabitants. The parish lies upon a slope, and comprises about 1600 acres, two-thirds of which are arable, 50 acres wood, and the rest pasture; it is bounded on the east by the river Ancholme, a small tributary of which runs through it. The soil consists of strong clay, sand, and a kind of red mould; and limestone is found on the higher grounds. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 13. 4.; net income, £117; patron, Sir C. M. L. Monck, Bart.