Cadbury, North (St. Michael)
CADBURY, NORTH (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Wincanton, hundred of Catsash, E. division of Somerset, 3¼ miles (S.) from Castle-Cary; containing, with the hamlets of Galhampton and Woolston, 1075 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £28. 17. 3½., and in the patronage of Emmanuel College, Cambridge: the tithes have been commuted for £489. 12. 2., and the glebe comprises 143½ acres. The church is a stately and beautiful pile, pleasantly situated on the ridge of a hill. Overlooking the village is an intrenchment of an oval form, surrounded by a large double rampart, composed of loose limestone, the produce of the spot.