Cadbury (St. Michael)
CADBURY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Tiverton, hundred of Hayridge, Cullompton and N. divisions of Devon, 8½ miles (W. by S.) from Cullompton; containing 251 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Tiverton to Crediton, and comprises by computation 1697 acres, of which about 1000 are arable, 500 meadow and pasture, 72 orchard, and 136 woodland and waste; the surface is hilly, and the soil in general light, resting upon a stony substratum. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 4. 3., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £163; impropriator, G. S. Farston, Esq. The benefice is endowed with half of the great tithes, and there is a good glebe-house, with five acres of land. On the summit of a high hill called Cadbury Castle, is an inclosure nearly circular, consisting of a single vallum and fosse, supposed to be either of British or of Roman origin; near it some Roman coins were found in 1827.