Cabourn (St. Nicholas)
CABOURN (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Caistor, wapentake of Bradley-Haverstoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 1¾ mile (E. N. E.) from Caistor; containing 166 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Caistor to Great Grimsby, and in a small vale in the heart of the Lincolnshire Wolds, comprises 2492a. 3r. 35p. of land, the subsoil of which is chalk, used for manure, and for the roads. The village is small, but from the numerous foundations of buildings in a field adjoining the vicarage, appears to have been formerly of considerable extent. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 18. 4.; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Yarborough: the income, arising from land allotted in 1811, is about £200. The church is a very ancient massive structure with details of Norman architecture, and contains a large antique font.