Barston (St. Swithin)
BARSTON (St. Swithin), a parish, in the union of Solihull, Solihull division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Knowle; containing 392 inhabitants. In Domesday book it is written Bercestone, the name, it is supposed, of a possessor in the time of the Saxons. It was anciently given to the Knights Templars and the Hospitallers, and was granted after the Dissolution (4th of Elizabeth) to John Fisher and others. The parish is almost surrounded by the small river Blythe, and comprises by computation 1844 acres; the adjacent country abounds with good scenery, and with objects of interest, and the village is pleasantly situated on an eminence commanding a fine prospect. The Birmingham and Warwick canal approaches within a mile, and the London and Birmingham railway within a mile and a half, of the village. Edward Barber, Esq., who is a large proprietor, has a mansion here. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Berkeswell: the tithes have been commuted for £180. The church is a plain edifice of brick, erected about the commencement of the last century, upon the site of the ancient structure. A school, in connexion with the church, has just been built.