BARROWFORD, a township, in the parochial chapelry of Colne, parish of Whalley, union of Burnley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 2½ miles (W.) from Colne; containing 2630 inhabitants. This place in the reign of Henry VII. constituted two vaccaries, called Over and Nether Barrowford. It is a large township at the junction of several streams flowing into the Colne water; and comprises 1342 acres. The spinning and manufacture of cotton prevail extensively. Carr Hall was the property of Richard Towneley in 1760, and afterwards of Col. Clayton; Park Hill was long the seat of the Banisters. A district church has been erected, dedicated to St. Thomas; the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Hulme's Trustees, and the incumbent has a net income of £150. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.