Barrowby (All Saints)
BARROWBY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Grantham, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 2 miles (W.) from Grantham; containing, with the hamlets of Breather-Hills, Casthorpe, and Stenwith, 799 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4330a. 1r. 21p. of fertile land, intersected by the Grantham canal. The Duke of Devonshire, who is proprietor of about one-half of the soil, is lord of the manor: the ancient Hall is now a farmhouse. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £31. 1. 5½.; net income, £1084; patron, the Duke. The church is a neat edifice in the pointed style, with a tower and spire. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. At Neubo, in the parish, Richard de Malebisse in 1198 founded an abbey of Præmonstratensian canons in honour of the Blessed Virgin, which at the Dissolution had a revenue of £115. 11. 8.