BARROW, a village and sea-port, in the township of Hawcoat, parish of Dalton, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Dalton, and 9 (S. W.) from Ulverston, the post-town. This place is situated at the south-western extremity of the district of Furness, opposite to the isle of Walney and Old Barrow island. The trade consists chiefly in the export of malt, slate, and iron-ore, of which two last articles vast quantities are brought from the mines and quarries in the vicinity by the Furness railway: an excellent pier of wood was built by the railway company in 1846. The land near the village is mostly arable, the surface rather uneven, and the soil a stiff clay. About a mile on the road to Dalton is a chapel in connexion with the Establishment, built by subscription in 1845.