BARNSTON, a parish, in the union and hundred of Dunmow, N. division of Essex, 2¼ miles (S. E.) from Dunmow; containing 197 inhabitants. The manor was held by Hugh de Berners and his descendants for many generations, and from them obtained its name Bernerstown, now corrupted into Bernston or Barnston. The parish is pleasantly situated on the river Chelmer. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13, and in the patronage of the family of Toke, whose mansion of Albanes is in the parish: the tithes have been commuted for £410, and there are 21 acres of glebe. The church is an ancient edifice in the Norman style; the steeple was destroyed by lightning in 1665.