Barnham (St. Mary)
BARNHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of West Hampnett, hundred of Avisford, rape of Arundel, W. division of Sussex, 6 miles (S. W. by W.) from Arundel; containing 125 inhabitants. It comprises about 700 acres, and is intersected by the Arundel and Portsmouth canal. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 15.; net income, £67; patron, the Bishop of Chichester; impropriators, the family of Postlethwayte. The church is in the early English style; the north isle was a chantry, founded by John Le Taverner in 1409, and was taken down at the Dissolution.