BARNACRE, with Bonds, a township, in the parish and union of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 2¼ miles (N. E.) from Garstang; containing 628 inhabitants. The township comprises 4478a. 2r. 2p., in about equal portions of arable and pasture, and nearly all the property of the Duke of Hamilton: the surface is undulated, and the soil various, and rich towards the Wyre, which river divides the township from Garstang. The Lancaster and Preston railway passes through for about two miles. Excellent stone is obtained from a quarry here; and there are two cotton-mills. Woodacre Hall was a residence of a former Duchess of Hamilton. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £148. 1. 9., payable to W. Standish, Esq. At Bonds are the relics of Greenhalgh Castle, which was held for the king by the Earl of Derby, in 1643, during the parliamentary war, and subsequently destroyed by Cromwell: it was erected by Thomas Stanley, Earl of Derby, in the reign of Henry VII., for the protection of his newly acquired estates; and is mentioned by Camden, as being situated near "the swift stream of the Wyr."