Barnack (St. John the Baptist)
BARNACK (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Stamford, soke of Peterborough, N. division of the county of Northampton, 3½ miles (S. E.) from Stamford; containing, with the hamlets of Pilsgate and Southorpe, 860 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £28. 10.; net income, £1025; patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The tithes were commuted for corn-rents, under an inclosure act, in the 39th and 40th of George III. The church is an interesting and very ancient structure, in the early Norman and English styles, with a tower, the lower part of which, from the character of the arch opening from it into the nave, is evidently of more ancient date than the earliest of the Norman details, and probably one of the very few specimens of Saxon architecture remaining in the kingdom. A school is supported by subscription, and by a donation from the funds of the poor's estate, which consists of fifty-one acres and five tenements, producing a rental of £72. An act for inclosing lands was passed in 1841.