Barmston (All Saints)
BARMSTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Bridlington, N. division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 6 miles (S. by W.) from Bridlington; containing 254 inhabitants. This is a remarkably fine agricultural parish, comprising by measurement 2290 acres, chiefly arable, of a loamy soil excellent for the growth of all sorts of grain: on the east is the sea, which every year washes away a small portion of the land; and the coast abounds with gravel, large quantities of which are used for repairing the roads. The village is pleasantly situated at the northern extremity of Holderness, on the road from Hull to Bridlington and Scarborough. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 11. 10½., and in the patronage of Sir H. Boynton, Bart.: the rent-charge in lieu of tithes is about £680, and there are 38 acres of glebe in the parish, and 67 in the township of Ulrome, which is partly in the parish of Skipsea. The church is in the decorated English style, and has a nave, chancel, and south aisle, with an embattled tower at the south-west angle. In the chancel is a table-monument of white alabaster, highly ornamented, and having a recumbent effigy of a knight in plate armour, supposed to represent Sir Martin de la See, who so signally assisted Edward IV. after that monarch had landed at Ravenspurn, in 1471. There is a church at Ulrome; and a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists has been erected in the parish.