Barmby-on-the-Moor (St. Catherine)
BARMBY-on-the-Moor (St. Catherine), a parish, in the union of Pocklington, Wilton-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 1¾ mile (W.) from Pocklington; containing 475 inhabitants. It comprises 2471a. 1r. 26p., of which about two-thirds are arable, and the remainder pasture, and moorland abounding with game; the surface is for the most part level, with a soil generally sandy. The village, which is of considerable length, stands on the Hull and York road, and was anciently a market-town, and of much greater importance than at present, having received a grant of various immunities, such as freedom from toll, &c., which the inhabitants still enjoy, subject to the payment of a small sum annually to the Dean and Chapter of York. The ancient manor-house is surrounded by a moat. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.; net income, £50; patron, the Dean of York. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment, in 1777. The church is an ancient structure in the Norman style, with later additions: the original square tower has been surmounted with a neat and well-proportioned spire of later English character, and a handsome window inserted. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.