Barlings (St. Edward)
BARLINGS (St. Edward), a parish, in the wapentake of Lawress, parts of Lindsey, union and county of Lincoln, 6½ miles (E. N. E.) from Lincoln; containing, with the township of Langworth, 352 inhabitants. An abbey for Præmonstratensian canons, dedicated to St. Mary, was founded in 1154, the revenue of which at the Dissolution was £307. 16. 6.: the last prior was Dr. Mackerel, who, having put himself at the head of an insurrection against the king's authority, was taken and executed in 1536. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £55; patrons, T. T. Drake and C. Turnor, Esqs. The church is in ruins. A school is endowed with a rent-charge of £10.