BARLBY, a chapelry, in the parish of Hemingbrough, union of Selby, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, E. riding of York, 1½ mile (N. E. by E.) from Selby; containing 387 inhabitants. This township, which has a long village, comprises 1411a. 3r. 15p.; about 900 acres are rich arable land, and the remainder pasture and common. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £65; patron, the Vicar of Hemingbrough: the great tithes produce £369 per annum. The chapel is a neat brick edifice with an octagonal turret, built about 1777.