Barlborough (St. James)
BARLBOROUGH (St. James), a parish, in the union of Worksop, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 8 miles (N. E. by E.) from Chesterfield; containing 804 inhabitants. It comprises by estimation 3305 acres, of which 2000 are arable, and 1150 pasture and meadow land; and is intersected by the roads from Chesterfield to Worksop, and from Rotherham to Mansfield, which cross here at right angles. There are some collieries in operation, and two quarries of limestone. Barlborough Hall is a spacious and interesting edifice of the Elizabethan style. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 1. 5½., and in the patronage of the Rev. C. H. R. Rodes; the tithes have been commuted for £600, and there are 73 acres of glebe. The church is a handsome structure, with a square tower. In 1752, Margaret and Mary Pole founded an almshouse for six poor persons, and endowed it with an estate now producing £75 per annum.