Barlaston (St. John the Baptist)
BARLASTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Stone, S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, N. division of the county of Stafford, 4¼ miles (N. by W.) from Stone; containing 591 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2087a. 2r. 23p. of inclosed land, with about 60 acres of waste: the Grand Trunk canal passes through. The village, which is well built, is delightfully situated near the summit of a lofty acclivity on the east side of the vale of the Trent, commanding extensive and beautiful views: Parkfield is a hamlet of pleasant houses on a terrace above the Trent. Barlaston Hall, a handsome mansion, stands near the north end of the village. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patron, the Duke of Sutherland. The church is a modern building of brick, with an ancient stone tower; it was enlarged in 1830, when a new gallery was erected. There is a school for 28 children, to which Thomas Mills, in 1800, bequeathed £12 per annum; it is also endowed with a cottage and garden.