Barkstone-in-the-Willows (St. Nicholas)
BARKSTONE-IN-THE-WILLOWS (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Newark, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 4 miles (N. N. E.) from Grantham; containing 413 inhabitants. It comprises by estimation 2083 acres, of which 1331 are arable, 549 pasture or meadow, and 44 woodland; besides which, there are 65 acres, chiefly arable, on which a small tithe-modus is payable: the soil is light, varying from clay to sand. The river Witham, which is scarcely navigable, passes through the parish. A pleasure-fair is held in October. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Prebendary of North Grantham in the Cathedral of Salisbury, valued in the king's books at £13. 7. 6.: the tithes have been commuted for £610, and there are about 19 acres of glebe. The church is supposed to have been built in the reign of John. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. There is a small endowment for a school; and an almshouse for six people is endowed with £43 per annum.