BARKSTON, a township, in the parish of Sherburn, Upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, W. riding of York, 5 miles (S. by E.) from Tadcaster; containing 323 inhabitants. It comprises about 1130 acres, chiefly arable, and generally fertile land: the road from Tadcaster to Pontefract intersects the township; and the York and North-Midland railway passes on the east, and the Leeds and Selby railway on the south. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1772. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The hundred court was formerly held, probably under a large ash-tree, in this village, and hence the name of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash.