BARKISLAND, a township, in the chapelry of Ripponden, parish and union of Halifax, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 5½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Halifax; containing 2391 inhabitants. This township comprises by computation 2420 acres, of which about 1000 were inclosed by act of parliament in 1814. The soil is generally fertile, and much of the land has been brought into a profitable state of cultivation; the scenery is pleasingly diversified, and in some parts embellished with wood: there are quarries of slate, and of good building and flagstone. Barkisland Hall, the ancient seat of the Gledhill family, is a stately mansion in the old English style of domestic architecture, and has long been the property of the Bolds of Bold Hall, Lancashire. The village, consisting of one long street, is pleasantly situated on the ridge of a hill sloping to the south; and the township comprises part of the village of Ripponden, and numerous scattered hamlets. The inhabitants are partly employed in wool-combing, and in the manufacture of the coarser kinds of woollen cloth, which is carried on to a small extent. The grammar school here, an ancient structure, was endowed in 1657 with £200 by Mrs. Sarah Gledhill: a house for the master was erected in 1780, with a good garden attached to it; and the endowment now produces £40 per annum, which is paid to the master for teaching twelve children.