Barking (St. Mary)
BARKING (ST. MARY), a parish, in the union and hundred of Bosmere and Claydon, E. division of Suffolk; comprising the post-town of Needham-Market and the hamlet of Dormsden, and containing 1931 inhabitants. It comprises 2940 acres, of which 50 are common or waste; and is traversed by the road from Ipswich to Bury St. Edmund's, and bounded on the north by the Stow-market and Ipswich navigation. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £27. 10. 7½., and in the gift of the Earl of Ashburnham: the tithes have been commuted for £800. The glebe consists of about 4 acres, and is ornamented with three very fine cedar-trees, brought from Mount Lebanon in the year 1725; an excellent rectory-house was built in 1819. The church, which is picturesquely situated, is chiefly in the later style, and consists of a nave, chancel, and aisles, with an embattled tower. There is a chapel of ease at Dormsden; also a church at Needham-Market, forming a separate incumbency.