Barkestone (St. Peter and St. Paul)
BARKESTONE (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Bingham, hundred of Framland, N. division of the county of Leicester, 4 miles (W. N. W.) from Belvoir Castle; containing 403 inhabitants. It comprises about 2000 acres, and is intersected by the Grantham and Nottingham canal: the soil is a darkcoloured tenacious clay, and the surface a gentle acclivity. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 5. 5.; net income, £114; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Rutland. The church was partly rebuilt and enlarged, and entirely refitted, in 1840. Daniel Smith endowed a school for the instruction of sixteen boys and ten girls of the parishes of Barkestone and Plungar, to which has been added a national school; and another for 26 girls is supported by the lady of the manor: a Sunday school is endowed with £20 per annum.