Barkby (St. Mary)
BARKBY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Barrow-upon-Soar, hundred of East Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 5 miles (N. E.) from Leicester; containing, with the chapelries of Barkby-Thorp and North Thurmaston, 849 inhabitants, of whom 70 are in Barkby-Thorp. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £250; patron and impropriator, W. A. Pochin, Esq. The tithes, with some exceptions, were commuted for land in 1762. The church has been repewed.