Barholme (St. Martin)
BARHOLME (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Stamford, wapentake of Ness, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 3¾ miles (W. by N.) from Market-Deeping; containing 165 inhabitants. This parish, including the hamlet of Stowe, comprises by measurement 1500 acres, of which 400 are in Stowe, and of the remainder, 1000 are arable and 100 pasture: the soil is for the most part gravelly, and in some parts fen. The living is a discharged vicarage, to which that of Stowe was united in 1772, valued in the king's books at £5. 11. 8.; net income, £147, arising from 70 acres of land allotted on the inclosure in lieu of tithe; patrons and impropriators, the Governors of Oakham and Uppingham schools. The church is an ancient structure, partly in the Norman and early English styles, with a tower which, from an inscription in verse, appears to have been erected in 1648.