Barham (St. Mary)
BARHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Bosmere and Claydon, E. division of Suffolk, 4 miles (N. N. W.) from Ipswich; containing, with the inmates of the union workhouse, 576 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 1500 acres, and is bounded on the west by the navigable river Gipping. Shrubland Hall, formerly the seat of a branch of the Bacon family, descended from the Lord Keeper Bacon, and now of Sir William F. F. Middleton, Bart., has been greatly improved by the present proprietor, and is a splendid residence. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 10. 5.; net income, £342; patrons, the family of Longe. The church is a handsome edifice, chiefly in the decorated style, consisting of a nave and chancel with a square tower on the south side, and the chancel contains many monuments to the Bacons and Southwells. In a field called Chapel Field, the floor of an ancient chapel was lately turned up by the plough. A Roman road passed through Shrubland Park; and in the year 1840 a Roman apartment six feet square, and a bath five feet four inches long, two feet nine inches deep, and three feet wide, were discovered. The late Duke of Gloucester resided at Shrubland when in command of the district.