Barford, Great (St. Michael)
BARFORD, GREAT (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Banbury, hundred of Wootton, county of Oxford, 2½ miles (W. N. W.) from Deddington; containing 370 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £6. 5.; net income, £67; patron and impropriator, John Hall, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment, in 1807. The church is rather peculiar in its character, and striking in its appearance; it stands on a high bank: the tower is placed at the east end of the south aisle, and there is a very fine Norman doorway: the edifice has no north aisle. A school, conducted on the national system, was founded by the late William Wilson, Esq., of Worton.