BARE, a hamlet, in the township of Poulton, Bare, and Torrisholme, parish of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 3¼ miles (N. W. by N.) from Lancaster; containing 120 inhabitants. Bare was a part of the Saxon manor of "Haltune," and one of those places whose tithes were granted by Roger de Poictou to the priory of Lancaster. The hamlet comprises 230a. 1r. 18p., and is beautifully situated on the shore of Morecambe bay, commanding fine views of the opposite shore of Furness, Piel Castle, the Lake mountains, Ingleborough, and the valley of the Lune. The soil on the hills is light, and very favourable for early potatoes; in the lower grounds it is rich clay and moss. The population is employed in fishing and agriculture. The Elms is the beautiful seat of James Giles, Esq., M.A., mayor of Lancaster in 1845-6. The air here is very salubrious and bracing.